Statement rings have their roots in ancient royalty. Roman kings loved their statement rings. They wore rings with heavy stones in winter and lighter metal ones were worn in summer.
In the early 30's and 40's statement rings were also called Cocktail Rings. These pieces were inspired from the alcoholic concoctions from which it took its name. The rings were meant to be “bubbly and extravagant”. These cocktail rings had a personality of their own; assertive, bossy and a show off.
With all the glitz and glamour of Hollywood, rings are being popularized by the “it girls” like Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton to name a few, Glam Rings is being used to describe these statement rings. They are usually flashy and have the Hollywood glitz attached to its personality. Call them statement rings or cocktail rings or glam rings, finger blings are here to stay.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when shopping for rings:
• The No. 1 rule for finger blings is it should match with your outfit or other accessories.
• Keep basic metal colors like silver, gold or copper tones for every day wear in your jewelry box.
• Choose chunky rings for long fingers.
• Mix and match basic metal colored rings with statement rings.
• Wear bold and flashy rings as a show stopper.